When Someone Dies

Buy When Someone Dies

Download a sample chapter

Chapter 1: As Death Approaches
• Who's in charge before the death?
• Does the person have an advance medical directive, also called a durable power of attorney for health care?
• If the person prepared an advance directive/durable power of attorney for health care...
> Download Chapter 1
reload image

Questions & Answers

Ask A Question:

You have my permission to share my question (with all personal information removed) with visitors to this website
Sign up for email alerts

Important legal information
What if a father passes with no spouse and only two living children – but one of the children walked away from the relationship. Because of this, the father has told only contact child they would inherit everything but hadn’t created a will. Is surviving child responsible in contacting other sibling and or sharing? While Court take walk-away decision into consideration?

Generally, without a will, the two brothers inherit equally. The fact that one brother ‘renounced’ the relationship does not mean anything, although if he clearly has no interest then he can refuse the inheritance. The person in charge of the estate usually is required to notify all heirs. If you intend to avoid paying, you should consult a lawyer. There may be ways to accomplish your goals.

Related Chapter: The Days and Weeks after the Death: Financial Issues

<Previous Question